"Stop The Static"...Naturally of course!! Posted on 6 Jan 19:20 , 7 comments
I am so sick and tired of static cling.... I hate it! And it seems like this year it's been worse that ever. And since I read that dryer sheets and fabric softener are toxic I refuse to use either one and here's why...
According to the author of The Brain Wash, here are the seven most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the central nervous system:
- Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
- Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
- Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
- Chloroform on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
- Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
- Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
- Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapours causes central nervous system depression.
So basically you're breathing and wearing poison! A nightmare right?
Recently a friend of mine asked me if I make anything or know of anything that gets rid of static.
So that of course started my wheels spinning (aka became obsessed.) In the past I've tried everything to get rid of the static cling in my clothes that I could think of or that I've read about.
Crumpled up aluminum foil balls in the dryer...Nope.
Wool Dryer Balls...Nope.
Metal Clothes Hanger run over my clothes...Nope
Vinegar in my rinse water...Nope! (This makes your clothes softer but does not get out static cling)
Rubber dryer balls...Nope!
I kind of gave up hope of ever finding a natural cure until my friend asked and I started researching again. Then I read an article about Pink Himalayan Sea Salt (which going forward I will call PHSS) Rock lamps and how they remove static from the air. Hmmmm...now this is interesting, I might be on to something. I've got those lamps all over my house, and it's the only salt I use on my food. And luckily I had some rock PHSS in my pantry (from another project, don't ask) and a small muslin pouch, which I had saved for an emergency just like this.
I put about 2 tablespoons in a small muslin bag, tied it tight and put it in my dryer with wet clothes.
And guess what?? When the clothes were dry, NO STATIC!!!!! Not one bit. I couldn't believe it! There is no way it was that simple. So I did another load, this time with things that are super staticky. My robe, my blanket and guess what no static!! Now I'm freaking out!!! Come to find out salt crystals emit negative ions and eliminate static!
Now my hair is a whole other issue and has been staticky for months! So I made a rinse for my hair with 1/2 teaspoon PHSS dissolved in a cup of water. I wash my hair, use a tiny bit of conditioner and then rinse with PHSS mixture. NO STATIC in my hair. I mean none! Now totally freaking out!
So then I made a bottle of the mixture with 1/2 tsp PHSS and 8 oz. water and I spray it on anything that has static. And guess what? Yep! NO STATIC!
IT IS AN OLD FASHIONED MIRACLE!! as far as I'm concerned. And not one chemical!
p.s. If you would rather just buy a pouch from me rather than make it yourself please visit my product page under "Keeping Your Home" and you can buy one there it's called "Stop The Static" or click here. They are $5.00 each. This is so exciting!!